Small Businesses Rule! Please Keep Them Alive!

Shop Indie Bookstores

Friday, July 16, 2010

Sunlight

Coincidentally, having discussed the importance of fluidity and weightlessness last evening, I was graced with the opportunity today to spend an hour and a half lounging in my most gracious neighbor and friend's pool; a much appreciated 90 minutes or so of pure bliss, as it was approaching 100 degrees and 100% humidity. It was so wonderful to dunk my bulbous belly into the water and enjoy conversation with my mother and her. As I listened to the two of them share stories about child rearing, and linear thinking husbands who seemingly find multitasking an impossibility... I began to drift off, and focus on something completely unrelated. My mind started to remind me that I had to take complete advantage of the late afternoon sunlight that I was graced with, as vitamin D is imperative! With that I made an interesting discovery; as I pulled my concrete belly out of the pool, and stretched to lay on my stomach to tan my hindquarters, I had the sour realization that I could no longer lay flat on my stomach! My mother and karen laughed at my expense, and my awkward arched position on the pavement, stressing that my bum would have to remain pasty this summer. I really am a weeble wobble.

Alas, the combination of sun and water, even for a short time in the large scheme of things, really brightened my grumpy disposition and calmed me. This has always been the case, as I have been a sun worshipper since I was a little girl because it seemingly lifted my spirits. Even in winter as a child, I would hike out into the middle of a snowy cornfield where we used to go sledding and I would lay down and absorb as much sunlight on my face as I could; it instantly changed my mood, even when I wasn't aware of any diagnosed imbalance.

May I emphasize the importance of sunlight to Vitamin D production in your body, and how regardless of the warnings... we need some sunlight to penetrate our skin for this chemical process to take place, sans sunblock. That doesn't mean bake for four hours in a pool of baby oil, but moderation is key! Ofcourse skin care is imperative, but we must find a balance so that our bodies do not suffer, mentally and physically, from a Vitamin D deficiency.

Dr. Frank Lipman M.D writes in the July 16, 2010 Huffington Post (online)
"For about the last 25 years, doctors (dermatologists in particular) have demonized sun exposure and repeatedly told us it is bad for you and causes cancer. But is that true? In the last few years, numerous studies have shown that modest exposure to sunlight may actually be good for you, helping the body produce the vitamin D it needs to keep bones healthy and protect against cancer, including skin cancer. Though repeated sunburns--in children and very fair-skinned people--have been linked to melanoma, there is no credible scientific evidence that moderate sun exposure causes it. Since it's almost impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from food alone (including fortified milk and fatty wild fish), the sun is your best source. I'm not suggesting you go bake in the sun with your suntan oil or go to tanning salons. But getting some sun without getting sunburned makes healthy sense."


Lipman continues "We evolved in the sun; we were made to get some sun, not to live our lives indoors and slather on sunscreen every time we go outside. If the sun is shining where you are today, get out and enjoy it, talk about a free natural treatment! All you need is a little common sense when heading outdoors, do it gradually and always avoid sunburn. 


Special Note: Remember to take antioxidants when you sit in the sun, as these can help prevent skin cells from sun damage."

...get outside!

xo Amanda

Download-Of-The-Day - "Saturday Sun" - Nick Drake ...beautiful! He was a true poet. Nick Drake suffered from depression and insomnia and overdosed on depression meds at the age of 26. He was yet another amazing artist, who contributed so much in his short stint on Mother Earth. Check out his music and his Biography (top right... next to this eve's blog entry).

No comments:

Post a Comment