Small Businesses Rule! Please Keep Them Alive!

Shop Indie Bookstores

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fluidity

I open this evening with advice from a truly transcendent, modern philosopher. "The Solutions all are simple... after you've already arrived at them. But they're simple only when you already know what they are." - Robert M. Pirsig from "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Think about it. It rings true with me on a daily basis, if I just stop to listen, rather than speak or think.

For instance, it is 10:30 pm, and I am winding down. Amazing... after writing about insomnia last evening and its overwhelming presence in my life as of late, my method worked: MMM. If you didn't read yesterday's entry (see below), MMM stands for mindfulness, music and milk...in no particular order. As I lay in front of the fan, cradled by Sherman, my big, brown, painfully-musty and loveable labrador, I had a good half hour of anxiousness, pondering the fact that I couldn't sleep, and thought about the deleterious effect it would have on my coming day. And then... enlightenment! I got up and took a long swig from the milk jug (shhhhh... didn't use a glass...), closed my eyes and listened to "How To Disappear Completely" - RADIOHEAD, and revisited my bed in complete darkness. I listened intently to the fan, I felt the air, and I tasted the beach in my mind... and that is as far as my senses took me. The next thing I knew, the morning birds were singing - magic! The solution was right there, waiting to be touched.

A most exceptional Mama of two, with a third on the way (14 weeks and counting), Nicole Deemer Sypniewski too has been suffering from insomnia and daily exhaustion and wrote today with some awesome advice. "I have been using yoga techniques to calm myself to sleep and it has been working well. If you are really in a bind, Benadryl is safe to take as well(during pregnancy). The active ingredient in Benadryl is the sleep aid used in Tylenol PM." Thank you so much Nicole!

Something that I would like to share that will not only benefit those coping with mental illness, pregnancy (or both), but will benefit EVERYONE is fluidity of motion. Perhaps I should simply speak for myself, but I think it is safe to say that when we feel like a blundering, clumsy skipping film on a reel, everything seems to crumble.

May I emphasize the importance of movement... and what better place to feel fluid than in a pool of water. Immersing myself in water is instant relaxation, whether it is a river, a lake, a pool, the ocean, or even a bath. The physical weightlessness is undoubtedly a catharsis in and of itself. Especially now... (as it feels as if I swallowed a bag of concrete mix, and chased it down with a watermelon) swimming is truly the only exercise that makes me feel content. In water, I feel free from the confines of my lethargic shell.

According to a well-rounded health site that I enjoy reading on occasion, "Better Health Channel" out of Australia, swimming is a great workout because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water. Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
"Keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
Builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
Helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
Tones muscles and builds strength
Provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming."

"Better Health Channel" experts continue "Swimming has many other benefits including:
Being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise
Alleviating stress
Improving coordination, balance and posture
Improving flexibility
Providing good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
Providing a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day
Being available in many places – you can swim in swimming pools, beaches, lakes, dams and rivers. Make sure that the environment you choose to swim in is safe."

Enjoy the water...another great place to practice mindfulness (and weightlessness). You will feel like a dancer -

...'till next time Mermaids and Mermen -
Amanda xo

Download-of-the-day - "Winter-A-Go-Go" - by Yo La Tengo (Always reminds me of the ocean)

No comments:

Post a Comment